Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Favorite Shade of Brown?

Golden Brown. The picture below is of the dulce de leche apple bars that I made. You also cover the bars with a browned butter icing. I went to visit my sister, Katie, up in Logan this weekend and made these for her. I was sad to give them away. There is a layer of dulche de leche (the yummiest caramel you will ever eat in your life) right in the middle of the bars. I have a ton of apples that I need to use so any apple recipes would be much appreciated!! =) I got this recipe here.

It's Sunday morning. I cook breakfast on Sunday morning and this morning I wanted scones. So, naturally, I went online and looked up a scone recipe. They all sounded pretty bland so I looked up a recipe that included chocolate chips. =) Chocolate tends to give me headaches but once in a while I get lucky and don't have to pop any advil. I got lucky this morning. The picture below is before I put them in the oven. I was afraid I'd burn them (apparently scones burn really fast) so I wanted to make sure everyone knew I at least got the dough part right. =)

I added a powdered sugar/rasperry jam (homemade!!) topping. I saw the heart idea on another cooking blog and wanted to try it. The scones turned out pretty good - although they were just a little bit dry.
I made these pies for dinner last Sunday. I ate at my Aunt Chris's house with some of her family and played games. It was fun, and Travis and Katie brought yummy desserts as well, so we basically just had dessert for dinner.
I love cooking. I never thought I would, but I really do love it. I don't daydream about cute boys, or taking naps, or reading anymore. Nope. I daydream all day about what I'm going to cook next. It's hilarious. It snowed all weekend in Utah and all I could think about was how much I wanted to make soup! I even went to Barnes and Noble last night to look at books for a paper that I'm writing on the ridiculous price of tuition and spent most of my time looking at cool cookbooks. I wanted to buy them all-except for Rachel Ray's. I don't like her. There are so many kitchen gadgets that I want to get. Cooking is an expensive interest. Yeah, it's an interest-not a hobby. Hobby is another word that I hate. I never know what to say when someone asks "So, what are your hobbies?" I think that's the question I hate the absolute most on a first date. It makes me think of people who collect stamps or coins. Then again, I want to start a collection of cookbooks so who am I to judge? =) By the way, it's impossible to find a 9X9 inch baking pan. They're all 8X8. I had to go to three different stores to find one. Stupid. If anyone wants me to make them something I am more than willing!! I only have myself to cook for, and it would be fun to bake things for lots of people.

4 comments:

shel7by said...

i sent you a prize. i had it delivered to my mom's. check there tuesday or wednesday.

Sara Bosler Castro said...

emily let's bake together! it's too bad we live so far away from eachother, or else I would be over there helping you cook...and eating everything. Ah all your desserts look so good. If you come up with any delicious cake recipes let me know! You can bake and I will decorate :)

Emily said...

Shelby! A prize! That is so thoughtful of you. I am looking forward to getting it. =) I think it's time for you to move to Utah...except for the fact that you live in the coolest house ever right now.

Katie Price said...

Um...bring us some stuff. If you hate just cooking for one, remember that I hate cooking for four:). I want some scones, and I want some soup. Try out this website www.kelseyskitchen.com. Really easy recipes. They're yummy.