Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues." - President Monson

It's been a while since I've posted on my blog. I would apologize, but then I'm not really sure why I should be sorry about the fact that I haven't posted anything...and I'm really not sorry. So I'm not going to apologize. =)

During this last conference session I noticed that gratitude was brought up quite a bit. I've thought a lot about the small things that I'm grateful for the past couple of weeks as I go throughout my days, and it has put me in the best mood. I have really come to realize that as I express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father (even for the really small things) I become much more satisfied with the things that I have than upset with the things that I don't have. In fact, I start to loose sight completely of the things that I don't have. I've started to make a list of the small/silly things I'm grateful during the week. I've posted a few pictures of some of them.

I'm grateful for flowers (white daisies especially!) My friend April gave these to me. She's in my new ward and is such a good friend to me! =) I am also grateful for good friends. My mom sent me that pumpkin decoration that's behind the flowers. I'm grateful for decorations, too! Chris and I took the train down to Salt Lake City. I'm grateful for free transportation! Actually, I'm grateful for free anything. Good thing I got my free pass for the frontrunner/buses right as gas prices are going down, right?
I am soooo grateful for ice cream cones!! While I was in Salt Lake with Chris I saw a group of grown men walking around with ice cream cones in their hands. I couldn't help but smile. They all looked like little kids on Christmas morning. I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to look unhappy while carrying/eating an ice cream cone. Unless, of course, your scoop of ice cream falls off your cone and onto the floor as my friend Mitchell pointed out. Next time you go get ice cream don't be boring and get it in a cup. Get it in a cone!! Don't we look happy? =)
Ok, I'll admit that I am the biggest nerd on the planet. Really. I love the smell of new books and scotch tape. Yeah, I know, I need help. I couldn't help but post this, though. That water bottle I'm holding is the darn cutest water bottle I have ever seeen. =) It fits perfectly in my hand, too! My aunt and cousins in Utah always compare me to the girl in the movie "Signs" because I leave glasses of water all around the house. I love water. And I love this water bottle. I'm not really sure why it has pictures of baseballs on it when it looks like a rocket ship...
See that ring I'm wearing? I'm grateful for that. Chris gave it to me for Christmas last year and it meant so much to me. My Uncle Ron designed it and I have had so many compliments on it-especially lately. It is a CTR (choose the right) ring. When people notice it it is a good opportunity for me to talk about the gospel. I have had some pretty cool missionary experiences lately with both members and non-members. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to share the gospel with others and watch it bring them happiness in their lives. I had the opportunity last weekend to go to a baptism. It has been quite a while since I've been to one and it was so good for me to be reminded of the covenants that I made when I was baptized, and to be reminded of the fact that I do have the gift of the Holy Ghost to be with me as long as I'm striving to do the right things. I didn't even really know the guy who was being baptized very well at all, but you could see the joy in his eyes. The missionary who baptized him was so full of joy and light that I thought he was going to be translated right then and there. =) I'm so grateful for the light of Christ that can be found in our eyes if we are doing the right things in our lives. People really do notice it.
I'm in charge of making a dessert for a murder mystery dinner I'm going to this weekend and I'm really excited about it. I'm going to try and make the dessert look spooky like the one above. Any one have any ideas? While we're on the topic of spooky things let me give you all some really good advice and tell you something I'm NOT grateful for. I'm not grateful for haunted houses. Don't go to one. Ever. They're dirty, and not scary, and you get fake blood all over your clothes. Sick.

I'm grateful for the opportunity I have had to cook so much and for so many people recently! Last Sunday I was in charge of making rolls for a dinner I was going to have with friends. I forgot the fact that my rolls were going to be used for sandwiches and made them too small. Doh! Don't worry, I traded the rolls for the sacrament bread that a guy in my ward is in charge of bringing. So, we used my rolls for the sacrament and his bread for the dinner. Win/Win. I also had to give him some homemade jam because he was really unsure about my rolls being good enough. I'm now in charge of making bread for the sacrament on Sundays. =) I think it'll be a good opportunity for me. I'll be posting a lot more often about the things I'm grateful for. I tend to be impatient sometimes and to overlook all the things I've been given. It's nice to be able to look back at the past few week and recognize the things which I'm grateful for.

2 comments:

DougIsFat said...

Looks like baking is a constant theme around here....maybe we'll have to set up a chance to avenge your devastating loss in the bake off all those years ago.

Emily said...

Oh please. You totally bought that pie and you know it! It's time for a rematch.