Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Mary, Mary, quite contrary, How does your garden grow?"

I went to a dead guys (that isn't meant to be insensitive. He was about 90. He lived a good, long life. I bet he's up in heaven baking peach pie for everyone right now) garden today to pick peaches so that I can eat them...and make pie...and give them away since they were FREE! =) I love free stuff. I have a peach cobbler baking in the oven right now. It's my first attempt at making cobbler so we'll see what happens. I used a pan that was too small and I have a bad feeling it's going to be disastrous, but I had fun with it. Don't you just love the picture below??

Peaches are great. I was also able to pick some red peppers and a ginormous onion. Fun stuff. I want a garden. It really was a beautiful garden with peaches, corn, peppers, SWEET POTATOES (I got really excited about that), tomatoes, plums, etc.Yummy. I'm going to eat that whole onion. Nobody will ever kiss me again. The house is for sale. I walked through it just to see what it looked like inside, and it's definitely a fixer-upper. It has potential, though, and lots and lots of storage space...and a really cute garden. There were lots of bees, though. I hate bees. I know we've got a shortage of them right now, and it's probably because I do my very best to kill every one that I see...when I'm not running away from them, that is. My crazy, fun aunt! She got up on the ladder to pick the peaches and everything. It really was a blast. The man that allowed us into the home to look at it and to pick the peaches was so sweet. He lives just a few houses down from the home where I picked peaches. He's got a garden of his own which is where I got the huge onion that I love so much. He told Chris (my aunt) and I about how several years ago he had a stroke and had to relearn everything. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. He didn't know who his kids were. He had to learn what 1 plus 1 equals. Really sad stuff but he really pulled through and has developed his talents ever since. His garden really was amazing...especially for someone who had to learn how to do everything all over again. I wanted to get a picture with him but forgot. I'm so grateful that he took the time to show us his garden and allow us to look through his neighbors home and pick stuff out of his neighbors garden. I had so much fun and learned a lot! I had no idea all the things you could grow in your backyard. That's probably because I'm from Arizona where the heat kills everything.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Emily that is AWESOME! I want to go!

Anonymous said...

A blog! How fun. I wasn't really into blogging until I started a blog for work, and so now I realize just how cool they can be. I may start a personal one at some point. I'm liking yours though. Great pictures! Love you and miss you!