Sunday, September 28, 2008

"I am attracted to pie. It doesn't mean I feel the need to date pie." - Lorelai Gilmore

I feel the need to date pie. Especially this pie. =)


I talked about all of the free peaches I got in an earlier blog entry and mentioned the fact that I was baking peach cobbler. I also mentioned the fact that it might be a disaster. It was. Lately, for whatever reason, I've been really wanting to learn how to cook. After my cobbler disaster I decided to hang up the apron. Then, Saturday night I watched the General Relief Society broadcast. President Uchtdorf talked about being creative and compassionate. He talked about turning some unorganized matter into something beautiful/organized. I almost thought he was going to look into the camera and say "Emily, that means you need to unload your car and hang up your clothes," but he didn't. Phew. That would've been embarrassing. He also talked about how we shouldn't let the fear of failure discourage us, and how whatever we choose to create does not have to be perfect. So, I decided to give the baking another shot. This time I just went with a good old fashioned pie. Forget the cobbler. Who likes cobbler, anyway? I'll be the first to admit that my pie is not pretty to look at. I didn't crimp the edges. I didn't add nutmeg. I didn't make the slits in the top look like a smiley face or something equally as cute. I didn't cook it so that it was a perfect golden-brown color because I had to take it out of the oven because I was going to be late for church if I didn't. I made the crust from scratch so it was uneven and not artistic at all. In fact, truth be told, my cobbler looked a whole lot better than this pie. The cobbler tasted horrible, though. I brought this pie to dinner at my aunt's cabin and nobody threw up. Actually, I almost threw up this morning while making it because I was fasting today and accidentally licked a spatula with pie filling I had just made on it. I realized my mistake and spit it all out in the sink. Don't even try to pretend like that hasn't happened to you too. It actually tasted pretty darn good if I do say so myself. No cooking on fast Sunday morning for me, though. Lesson learned.

Long story short, I'm so grateful that I have the leaders of my church to guide me and encourage me to do new things and develop new talents even when I fail and even when whatever I work hard at doesn't turn out exactly how I want it to. Another thing he said in his talk was "In the end, the number of prayers we say may contribute to our happiness, but the number of prayers we answer may be of even greater importance." How cool is it that we can be the answer to another person's prayer? I really felt so humbled when I thought about the fact that the Lord trusts us and expects us to love and serve those around us. In doing so we will be an answer to their prayers. All we have to do is have a willing heart. I thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast and am so grateful and lucky to be a part of Relief Society.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Did you see my entry last night?? My neighbor who went with us to the broadcast brought over 2 pies last night! I bet the world was filled with a 1,000 more pies Sunday. What a great talk that was. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You made me cry.
I wish I would have been at said cabin for pie. DANG IT. Phoenix sucks.

shel7by said...

i made an apple pie last night with apples i picked! We're practically sisters! Love you MOE. Love the blog. Thanks for being such a good friend to my mom.

Emily said...

Oh it's more like you need to thank your mom for being such a good friend to me!! She really is. I love hanging out with her. You made pie, too! We ARE practically sisters. I even have the same birthday as Camry. Do you have an apple tree?? You and Melanie should both come up and bring your kids because they're cute and fun to play with and we can ALL be creative and make pies. Yummy and fun.