Friday, August 19, 2011

My Yearly Post

Well, I have mountains of laundry to do because a cold is going around my house and I feel the need to wash EVERYTHING and rid us all of the sick germs. My parents are coming into town tonight so I need to clean and get their room ready. I haven't showered yet. I haven't changed SJ out of his PJ's yet and it's 12:30 in the afternoon. Since I have nothing to do, I thought I'd update my blog.

It's been a year since I last posted. I've made a goal to post at least once a year. I know that seems like a lot, but I'm sure I can manage.

Not much has happened since I posted lasted year. Michael and I bought a townhouse last August.
My mom got cancer in that same month. I got pregnant in that same month (crazy pregnancy emotions do not go well with a mom with cancer. Way too many emotions and way too much stress).Michael started his MBA/Global Management Masters through Indiana University and Thunderbird University respectively, and left to go to Indiana University for 2 weeks right after finding out my mom had cancer. We rented out our other house in Layton last October. Michael and I celebrated our one year anniversary at the Waldorf Astoria in Park City on October 17th. We went to the Olympic park in Park City. It was fantastic.

My whole family (siblings and all) traveled to AZ to surprise my dad for his 60th birthday on October 30th. We actually surprised him. It was great, and we were also able to announce to my whole family that I was pregnant. We also got rear ended by a car while driving my Dad's car on his birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad!

We spent Thanksgiving in Utah with Michael's family, and then traveled to Arizona to spend Christmas with my family. While in Arizona we hiked Camelback Mountain. My 5-months-pregnant body made it almost to the top but not quite. Michael took this picture once he got to the top. I love Arizona.


My mom had intense chemo/radiation and two major surgeries, and kicked cancer's butt in January.

In March we celebrated our birthdays by going up to Park City again and staying overnight. I got called as the Young Women's president in our ward in April. I was 8 months pregnant - someone has a really good sense of humor. On May 8th, Mother's Day (awwww) I had a beautiful baby boy after a pretty intense and somewhat scary labor/delivery (the first is the hardest, right??) We named him Spencer (after my dad) Christopher Johnson (SJ for short), although we probably should have named him the masculine version of Emily (Emilio?) since he's basically my doppelganger. Lortab was my best friend for a little while. I don't care what anyone says, hospital food rocks. I'm also pretty sure I fell in love with my nurses there. Turns out breastfeeding is not as awesome as so many people said it would be, but it's cheaper than formula, so that's awesome. All in all, being a mom is great. I won't lie, there are times when being a mom is not all rainbows and butterflies, but even the hard and discouraging moments are worth it. Katherine, I posted the picture of you and SJ as proof that you held him. =)

Crazy thigh muscles. No wonder my ribs hurt so much from his kicking.

I quit my job right after I had SJ. It's really strange and definitely an adjustment to go from working full time to being home full time. Michael went to Atlanta for work and Prague for school about a month after SJ was born and was gone for a couple weeks and SJ decided to get acid reflux while he was gone. So. Much. Screaming. Luckily my sister came to help me and keep me sane during the month of June. Michael's brother got married and SJ wore a tie. Adorable.


We went to girls camp in July and Michael won best actress. SJ did surprisingly well for a 2-month old camper. The young women in my ward are the best ever. We went to California right after girls camp with my family and SJ loved it.

I went to AZ for a week as well in August. SJ loved it there, too. We took him swimming for the first time in my parent's pool in AZ which was more like a hot tub and SJ couldn't get enough of it.


My sister got married while we were in AZ and SJ wore a bow tie. Equally as adorable as the tie. We sweated 5 pounds off at her AZ August wedding which was nice - especially since the last 5 pregnancy pounds are stubborn.


We are now home sweet home and looking forward to a year that is sans cancer, moving, and pregnancy. Actually, if Michael had his way we'd already be pregnant again. We won't be this year. WE WON'T BE. =) But then, you never really know with these things, do you?

So there you have it. Our yearly update. As you can see, we didn't have much to write about all year. We're pretty boring. My baby is awake now and wants to play and that's way more fun than blogging or laundry so I'm signing off. Maybe I'll finally get him dressed for the day.

Hopefully I'll update more often now, but if not, until next year!

3 comments:

Michael Johnson said...

I think it is pretty obvious that my wife rocks... Just saying...

Louise said...

Em, Loved this summary of your uneventful boring year! Hopefully, this one will not be quite as eventful...but some very good things came out of this year, you have to admit! You are a wonderful mother and just a great person...and I am so proud to be your mother. I love you lots, and hope you might write before another year has gone!! Love you lots!

Katherine said...

Hooray for boring years and blog updates! Let's get together soon.